No mode cookie
Jonny Quest Season 1 - Pursuit of the Po-Ho
© 1998-2004, Lyle P. Blosser, Craig Fuqua
Z-7, Po-Ho Adventure, 10/9/64, 4/1/65.
Trivia and items of interest:
- Early in the episode, it is stated that Dr. Quest and Dr. Emil Hartman can both
speak the language of the Po-Ho, and it is obvious that Dr. Quest can when he broadcasts
a message to the natives from the plane. But, later, when both men are captured,
Dr. Hartman translates the natives words for Dr. Quest, as if Dr. Quest couldn't
do so for himself. (Of course, this was all for the benefit of us, the audience,
but it's still a mistake.)
- When Dr. Quest is talking to Dreena on the radio, he says, "Now, now Dreena, keep
your courage up". Dr. Quest is in view, but his voice is as if it's coming over
the radio. It should be Dreena in view with his voice at the other end of the radio.
(Reported by Don Ramos)
- Dreena Hartman can't speak the Po-Ho language, but she can translate what their
drums are saying?
- When Dreena Hartman translates what the Po-Ho drums are saying, she mentions "Rahneo".
We then hear Race's voice ask, "Rahneo?" but we actually see Dr. Quest's lips move.
Then, immediately after, Dr. Quest explains who Rahneo is -- it looks like Dr. Quest
asks the question then answers it!
- When Dr. Quest is captured by the Po-Ho, we see a tear run down Jonny's face. The
problem is the tear forms on the upper part of his eye, toward the outer edge, instead
of the inner corner where the tear ducts are actually located.
- The Po-Ho tribe seems to be made up of several different races, based on the three
different pigmentations seen. There's a very light-skinned Po-Ho, one that's slightly
darker, and a very dark one. Look for the scene with the natives pounding on the
drums to see what I mean. This is at least done consistently every time the scene
- When Jonny and Hadji are waiting at the boat, and they hear someone coming, Bandit
starts barking, but his mouth doesn't move. (Reported
by Ian Allan)
- After Race gets the rope to Dr. Quest to pull him out of the hole, he swims to the
boat and loops the rope around the motor. The boat then speeds off, later the rope
has somehow gotten off the motor and Race is holding it. It would be pretty difficult
to get enough slack in the rope while pulling Dr. Quest to remove it from the motor
with the boat in motion. (Reported by Don Ramos)
- After Dr. Quest makes his speech to the Po-Ho, he continues to hold the microphone
(but one presumes the switch of off while they talk in the plane). So why did Bandit's
barks get transmitted? Maybe Dr. Quest covertly pushed the switch back on because
he wanted to hear Bandit's barks echo across the jungle :-).
- Jonny is having a little trouble with his grades
- Jonny sheds a tear when Dr. Quest is captured, the only time this demonstration
of strong emotion is seen in the entire series. (but see flubs, above)
The following scenes in the opening
and closing credits are from this episode:
- Natives in dugouts. (OC)
- Panther jumping (OC)
(This scene, and the crocodile scene below, happened when Bandit barked into a microphone
and his barks were amplified and transmitted through a set of external speakers
as they flew over the jungle. These same scenes were later used, for a different
effect, in the episode "Turu the Terrible".)
- Crocodile diving into river (OC)
- Jet flying through clouds, and characters sitting in jet cockpit (OC)
- monkey on branch over jungle river (CC) (Also used in the episode "A Small Matter
Link to the restored end credits
for the episode.
Link to some episode cel images
Jonny Quest and distinctive likenesses © Hanna-Barbera.
All other images, image designs and other image work on this site are
© ClassicJQ.com, © Hanna-Barbera or as
noted. Text content is © ClassicJQ.com, except where noted otherwise,
and may not be shared or re-published without the consent of the author.
This is strictly a fan-based site, and is in no way
affiliated with or approved by Hanna-Barbera or any other
organizations, unless specifically indicated otherwise.